2008 Foal Futurity
2008 Foal Futurity Report by Elizabeth Ciemniewski
- Gratitude is extended to Judy and Dave Johnson for hosting the event when cancellation of the warmblood sale left us without a venue.
- There was a very modest turnout for the foal futurity - we had a total of 6 entries, with one cancellation just before the event due to injury of the foal.
- Prize money and ribbons were given out to 5th place; 6th place prize money of $50 was given as a stipend to the Johnsons, to defer the cost of refreshments which they provided at their cost.
- Advertising of the event was published well ahead of time despite the change in venue, and all entries were received well in advance of the event.
Things to improve:
- Entry forms should include sire, registry of sire, dam, sire of dam and registry of dam for proper reporting in press releases.
- A judging card, applicable to the judging of foals, needs to be supplied to each of the inspectors for each foal entered.
- The event should be held earlier in the season when the foals can be presented in better condition. Typically we hold the event late in the fall because we are waiting for National to let us know what our province's share of the SSA proceeds are, so that we can then decide how much prize money will be distributed. This comes far too late in the year (at the end of October in 2008). Also, having the foal futurity as a stand-alone event often results in poor attendance. It is my suggestion to hold the foal futurity either in conjunction with our annual breed show, as many foal owners already attend that event, or at one of our mare inspections.
- A professional photographer should be hired for the event to better represent the breeding initiatives of our association. Holding the foal futurity in conjunction with another event where a photographer is already on site would help in this regard.
2008 Foal Futurity Results
The results of the Ontario foal futurity, hosted by Dave and Judy Johnson at Travis Hall farm are as follows:
1st place:Pancrazio (Pablo x Budweiser x Artic Squaw xx), owned and bred by Chris Hahn.
2nd place:Dexter (VDL Windsor H x Voltaire x Nurzeus), owned and bred by Tim Millard.
3rd place: U2 D'Orange (Elute x Stargate x ), owned and bred by Ruth Armstrong.
4th place:Un Peu de Taute (Ilian de Taute x Easy Terms x Honest Pleasure), owned and bred by Ruth Armstrong
5th place:Une D'Orange (Holberg x Royal Tangent x ), owned and bred by Ruth Armstrong
Check the Ontario Chapter Calendar of Events for date and location of this year's Foal Futurity.
12:30 pm check-in and registration (see requirements below)
1 pm sharp start of foal futurity
Prize money is as follows:
1st place $600
2nd place $500
3rd place $400
4th place $300
5th place $150
6th place $50
Foal owners who either donated a stallion service to, or purchased a stallion service from, the 2007 auction are not required to pay an entry fee. Owners with foals sired by any stallion from the auction are also eligible to enter, but are required to pay a $50 entry fee if the stallion service was not purchased through the auction.
A copy of your foal's registration papers or copy of the Certificate of Breeding (which you can obtain from the stallion owner) is required to enter the foal futurity.
Please contact the Foal Futurity Director, Elizabeth Ciemniewski, at firstname.lastname@example.org for futher information.
See List of 2008 Eligible Sires >>>